Friends of Scandia Parks and Trails
Board Meeting Minutes April 11, 2011
7:00 pm, Scandia Community Center
Submitted by Julie White
Members present: Sonia Borg, Dennis Seefeldt, Tom Krinke, Mike White, Julie White, Karen Schik, Matt Rasmussen, Sally Swanson, Jerry Johnson, Judy Rydeen, Brad Borg, Lisa Schlingerman
Absent: Mike Harnetty, Tom Triplett
Guest City Council member Chris Ness
Vice President Sonia Borg called meeting to order.
1. Amendments to agenda
Addition: Location of future FSPT Board meeting in a park.
Addition: Hay Lake grass cutting.
Motion to approve made by Dennis Seefeldt, second by Mike White. Motion passed.
2. Approval of minutes from March 14, 2011 meeting
Motion made by Judy Rydeen, second by Sonia Borg, Motion passed.
- All new member information goes to the Treasurer, who enters the data and sends it to the webmaster (Joan Berry). Joan adds the name to the email distribution list.
- The secretary, Julie White, will send draft minutes to Karen, instead of Tom T.
- Park and Rec will sponsor buckthorn removal at Lilleskogen (for six months) starting on April 30, 2011. Wednesdays 4pm to dusk and Saturdays 9am to noon. Volunteers should bring their own tools. FSPT will help to recruit volunteers.
- May 7th, 2011 Celebration at Wm O'Brien Park for new addition of 100 acres.
- Sonia will regularly post upcoming events on the website.
- Other ideas discussed were:
- Another hike of the proposed Gateway trail by the llama farm.
- Have a display at Beer Fest at Hay lake (late June) - show design plans for the park that Jake Otto is doing.
- Bat house (or bird house) building. Coordinate an event to build houses.
- Taco Daze booth.
- Offer nature hikes at Scandia parks.
- Judy suggested that one of the board meetings each year be held at one of the parks - e.g. Hay Lake, or Big Marine, or Wm O'Brien.
5. Procedure for new board members
The bylaws state that there will be up to 15 board members. The current board is 14. Adding new board members is done by a vote from the board. Brad Borg expressed interest to be a board member. Motion to approve made by Matt Rasmussen, second by Mike White. Motion passed unanimously.
6. Protocol for newsletter and website
All items planned for posting to the website should be submitted to the President or Vice President. They will review and submit to the webmaster.
7. Mowing at Hay Lake.
Mike White has suggested to the city to expand the mowed area by the Hay Lake shelter to allow more lawn for picnic/recreation.
Next meeting scheduled May 9th, 2011 at 7pm. Motion to adjourn made by Matt Rasmussen, second by Mike White. Motion passed.